At GirlSing, your daughter will take part in a soulful music-making, song writing and artistic experience that involves expressing and exploring her musical and unique spirit with variety of creative sing, songwriting and artistic activities in a variety of environments.
Girls will explore the music they love and why they love it through GirlSing's unique Song Synergy "lyric exploration" activity. This activity is designed to help them understand how and why they connect with specific songs and how music (lyrics, genre, tune, rhythm, meter and tone) elicit and influence our emotional and physical response to a song. The concepts of metaphor and simile are also explored and how they contribute to telling a visual story as a part of lyric wriiting.
Beginning Song Writing Skills
The ability to express ones self through music can be powerful and cathartic. Girls will learn about song structure, songwriting inspiration and song writing basics. They will write lyrics based on their personal experiences and put them to music. Girls will also have the opportunity (but are not required) to share their song in small groups -- expressing what the lyrics of their song mean to them.
Self Reflective Art Projects
In the spirit of encouraging creativity through art, the GirlSing camp includes individual and collaborative art projects (indoor and outdoor). Each art project gives the girls and opportunity to express and describe what makes them unique and allows them to share the special gifts they have to give to the world. Some art projects will also give the girls the opportunity to illustrate their connection to a favorite song learned in the Camp!
Indoor & Outdoor Singing, Games, Fun & Field Trips!
In addition to singing indoors, we also spend time singing, journaling and writing lyrics in nature (e.g., along sourdough creek). When the spirit moves us, we bring smiles to people's faces when the girls share a spontaneous, joyful song while out and about. It's important to note that singing in front of and for people is always a "choice." The GirlSing camp emphasizes the joyful gift of sharing a song and a beautiful message with others and isn't focused on "performing" or "perfection."
Here is a summary of the GirlSing Activities.
- Engaging Group Singing (Parts, Harmony, Rounds)
- Singing and "get to know you" Games designed to create fun connection and make new friends
- Song Writing Skills and Exercises
- Lyric Analysis (Using Song Synergy Technique)
- "Find Your Own Voice" journaling and lyric development.
- Self-Expressive Art Project
- Vocal Improvisation
- Vocal/Rhythmic Percussion/Drumming Call & Response
- Ensemble Skills (listening, blending, creative cooperation - small and large groups)
- Performance Skills (Vocal projection, vocal/body coordination, stage presence)"
- Free time to creatively explore and make new friends and connections
- Water games on hot days (Sprinkler, etc.)
GirlSing believes "music-making skills" run parallel to "life skills." "At GirlSing, girls will be encouraged to explore and ponder how music-making skills translate into every day life lessons!